Santa Monica Theft Crime Lawyer
Accused of a theft crime?
To be charged with a theft crime implies having taken property from another with the intent of depriving them of it permanently. There are various defenses that can be used to fight theft crime charges, including:
- Theft crimes become ambiguous when it comes time to prove if a person took another's property without knowing that it belonged to someone else. This type of defense, also known as claim of right or ownership of property, is a common defense for this type of charge.
- Intoxication is another defense that can imply that the offender committed theft due to the effects of alcohol or drugs. It may be possible to form a defense if the property stolen was returned, in which case it would be considered as borrowed property.
- Entrapment can be used as a defense if the offender was forced by another to commit theft.
It becomes crucial to secure confidant and knowledgeable legal representation that has specific experience working with various types of theft crime cases to provide a strong defense. At Lessem & Newstat, a Santa Monica criminal defense lawyer has the criminal defense background and experience to fight for your rights. Our firm has achieved the highest rating with the Better Business Bureau. Our firm was also rated Preeminent by Martindale -Hubbell AV, again the highest possible honor. Our reputation for fighting diligently on behalf of our clients is well-known in Los Angeles.
Types of Theft Crimes
Theft crimes encompass numerous types of crimes that will vary in nature and depend on the value of the property stolen:
- Petty theft (property $400 or less)
- Grand theft (property $400 or more)
- Armed robbery
- Carjacking or vehicular theft
- Money laundering
- Credit card fraud
- Identity theft
Penalties can include fines, community service, restitution, and counseling or rehabilitation. Probation can also be afforded. If the theft crime is more serious it could result in jail time and a prison sentence.
Our firm has experience working for clients that have faced every type of theft crime. We are prepared to take review your case and vigorously fight and strive for minimum sentencing or avoid penalties altogether. Our firm also serves Malibu, Venice, Westwood, and the greater Los Angeles area.
Contact a Santa Monica theft crime attorney if you were charged with any type of theft crime.